[U-Boot] recent tools on FreeBSD

Jeroen Hofstee jeroen at myspectrum.nl
Sun Feb 8 11:03:49 CET 2015

Hello Simon,

On 07-02-15 22:02, Simon Glass wrote:
>> If this still fails, you can always build it from source, but needs a bit of
>> patience.
>> Somthing like this should always work:
>>
>> portsnap fetch
>> portsnap extract
>>
>> cd /usr/ports/devel/git
>> make config-recursive
>> make
>> make install
>>
>> Let me know if you still have issues.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Jeroen
>>

>> [1] (as root)
>>
>> pkg install nano git
>> git clone git://git.denx.de/u-boot.git
>> git checkout v2015.01 -b b2015.01
>> cd u-boot
>> pkg install arm-gnueabi-binutils gmake
>>
>> gmake CC="clang -target arm-freebsd-eabi -no-integrated-as -mllvm
>> -arm-use-movt=0" rpi_defconfig
>> gmake CROSS_COMPILE=arm-gnueabi-freebsd- CC="clang -target arm-freebsd-eabi
>> -no-integrated-as -mllvm -arm-use-movt=0
>> -B/usr/local/bin/arm-gnueabi-freebsd-" CONFIG_USE_PRIVATE_LIBGCC=y
>>
> Is this for using an ARM cross-compiler? What should I do for building
> the tools? I keep seeing 'gcc not found'.

Yes it is for cross building. So the host clang / host ld do the native
build, the host clang with some help from arm-gnueabi-freebsd-as and
arm-gnueabi-freebsd-ld do the cross build.

If you only want  to build tools for the host you need something like:

gmake CC=cc sandbox_config tools

Since CC is defined to $(CROSS_COMPILE)gcc it ends up being gcc when
CROSS_COMPILE is not set, hence you get the 'gcc not found' errors.

Regards,
Jeroen