[U-Boot] MPC8541 / MPC8555E: DDR_SDRAM_CLK_CNLT[SS_EN] handling

Curt Brune curt at cumulusnetworks.com
Fri Feb 13 06:35:12 CET 2015

Hello,

I am curious about the setting of the SS_EN bit in the
DDR_SDRAM_CLK_CNLT register:

   Source synchronous enable. This bit field must be set during
   initialization. See Section 9.6.1, “DDR SDRAM Initialization
   Sequence,” for details.

   0 - Reserved
   1 - The address and command are sent to the DDR SDRAMs source
       synchronously.

The MPC8555E reference manual and this app note are pretty clear that
this bit should be set:

  http://cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/app_note/AN2805.pdf (page 17)

set_ddr_sdram_clk_cntl() in u-boot/drivers/ddr/fsl/ctrl_regs.c has this:

        clk_adjust = popts->clk_adjust;
        ddr->ddr_sdram_clk_cntl = (clk_adjust & 0xF) << 23;

There is no accounting for the SS_EN bit on 8541/8555E.  I would have
expected to see an #ifdef for the MPC8555 that sets the SS_EN bit.

I know 8541 has been around forever and is working fine.  I am just
trying to find some back ground information on this setting.

Searching the old mailing lists did not turn up anything useful.

Any insight is appreciated.

Cheers,
Curt