[U-Boot] BDI3000 U-Boot debugging questions (MX51/MX53)

DaveKucharczyk david.kucharczyk at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 21:05:10 CET 2015

I would like to debug from the earliest possible point pre-relocation (for
educational reasons). Couple questions....

In the Makefile, where do I place the following flags...
 -Os #-fomit-frame-pointer -g -fno-schedule-insns -fno-schedule-insns2

I've added the flags in a few different spots, but I still can't break on
cpu_init_f.
Here's the output...
(gdb) b cpu_init_f
Function "cpu_init_f" not defined.
Make breakpoint pending on future shared library load? (y or [n]) y

I assume the flags didn't get set, specifically -g.

To backup a little here is what I get when I do target remote...

(gdb) target remote 169.254.21.13:2001
Remote debugging using 169.254.21.13:2001
warning: Unable to find dynamic linker breakpoint function.
GDB will be unable to debug shared library initializers
and track explicitly loaded dynamic code.
0x00000000 in ?? ()
(gdb)

I assume those warning are related to my issue above?

Also, when I power on the target, u-boot just starts loading. How do I halt
it? I tried to set a breakpoint at text base in the BDI, but it doesn't
halt.