[U-Boot] u-boot on raspberry 2: booting in SVC secure mode

Vincent vincent.siles at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 11:37:48 CET 2015

> Hi Vincent,
>
> On 26/02/15 09:32, Vincent wrote:
> > I tried what Stephen suggested, and just changing CONFIG_SYS_TEXT_BASE to
> > 0x0 (with kernel_old=1) does not work: the board display some garbage on
> > the uart then hangs. The content of the garbage makes me thinks that
> > nothing is done to handle the four cores in this setting which ends up
> > badly. I expected this since raspberry's "firmware" only let one core run
> > free. I think I need to configure U-boot so that it deals with this SMP
> > scenario (I just don't know how).
>
> Ah yes, it seems like there should be code to branch off on secondary
> codes based on MPIDR reading in start.S early. I try to take a look at
> it later.
>
> > My goal is to use U-boot to load some small homemade baremetal kernels on
> > the raspberry (using serial or tftp loading), in *secure mode*, so I need
> > U-boot to stay in secure mode, or at least let me install my own
> > secure_monitor code before switching to non-secure mode.
>
> So you should set ARMV7_BOOT_SEC_DEFAULT in this case then. Do you
> desperately need the other three cores? If not you could get away with
> disabling the SMP parts of the code for the time being, putting the
> other cores in WFI or WFE.

I don't care about the other cores for now, I only need one core. I put
them in wfi quite early in the process.

> > I made a couple attempts of adding secure mode support by adding options
> in
> > configs/rpi_2_defconfig but they don't seem to be taken into account.
> Where
> > do you suggest I put ARMV7_virt and ARMV7_NONSEC ?
>
> adding:
> ------
> config ARMV7_NONSEC
>         default y
> config ARMV7_VIRT
>         default y
> ------
> to board/raspberrypi/rpi_2/Kconfig did the trick for me, though it
> (correctly) complains about some missing bits. I will not find time
> until tonight to work on this, so you may want to take a look at commits
> fafbc6c000db and e261c83aa04c meanwhile to see what needs to be done in
> this regard for a new board.

Thank you, I was changing rpi_2_defconfing instead of rpi_2/Kconfig.

> I couldn't get u-boot to output anything at all with kernel_old=1 on my
> quick try yesterday, what is your current setup to get to the UART
> garbage? Did you enable some kind of early debug or did you put any
> extra code at 0x0? I tried setting SYS_TEXT_BASE to 0x0, but that didn't
> change anything.
>
> Indeed I tried again earlier and nothing showed up... I might have had
other changes that I don't remember (like
ARMV7_BOOT_SEC_DEFAULT or something like that).

Thank you for your interest, I'll have a look at the commits you pointed
out. I don't think I'll be able to have a clear look
before next week, so there's no rush :)

Best,
Vincent