[U-Boot] u-boot on raspberry pi with fw_printenv/fw_setenv

B.R. Oake broake at openmailbox.org
Tue Jan 6 18:01:14 CET 2015

On 06/01/15 12:08, Waldemar Brodkorb wrote:
> I am looking for a way to change u-boot environment from Linux
> on a Raspberry PI. I have fw_printenv/fw_setenv, but I have no clue
> how the config file looks like, when using uboot.env as a file on
> the first vfat partition. I am not sure, but it looks like there
> is no code to use fw_printenv/fw_setenv with files.

Hi Waldemar,

fw_printenv and fw_setenv can act on an ordinary file instead of a
device if you want; their config file is normally /etc/fw_env.config .
So for example, first you could create an empty 16K file uboot.env:

dd if=/dev/zero of=uboot.env bs=1K count=16

then you could configure fw_printenv and fw_setenv to act upon that
file by putting the following line in /etc/fw_env.config:

uboot.env 0x0000 0x4000 0x4000

I hope that helps,
B.R.