[U-Boot] avr32 atmel ngw100 support question

Andreas Bießmann andreas.devel at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 13 23:38:38 CET 2015

Hi Waldemar,

On 13.01.15 22:31, Waldemar Brodkorb wrote:
> Hi U-Boot Hackers,
>
> I have some problem regarding DHCP on my Atmel NGW100 board, when
> using dnsmasq on the server side. I want to use the device for some
> kind of automatic test suite runs.
>
> Does the support for this device is known to work in 2015.01?

I have not tested and do not own a ngw100 but it is likely that it is
still working. Avr32 in general has had very little changes in the past.
I personally have access to a ngw100mkII, grasshopper and stk1002 board.
They are tested from time to time. AFAIR there was no breakage in the
last two or three years.
I have to admit not all of these boards tested with 2015.01 yet. But I
do not expect any surprise here.

> Can I update the old existing U-Boot boot loader directly or
> should I use FlashUpgrade tool from Atmel?
> (http://mirror.egtvedt.no/avr32linux.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/FlashUpgradeUsage)

I always do it directly or with my jtag ICE. It seems the FlashUpgrade
is just some scripting to advise u-boot to do the update. I would prefer
to do it for my own.

> The existing version is:
> U-Boot 1.1.4-at0 (Jan  3 2007 - 10:30:09)

This is quite old. There where maybe a change of flash partitioning in
between. This means that your existing environment partition may not be
read in the newer version. I recommend to save the environment as a text
file on your host before doing the update.

best regards

Andreas Bießmann