[U-Boot] avr32 atmel ngw100 support question

Waldemar Brodkorb wbx at openadk.org
Tue Jan 13 23:59:35 CET 2015

Hi Andreas,
Andreas Bießmann wrote,

> Hi Waldemar,
>
> On 13.01.15 22:31, Waldemar Brodkorb wrote:
> > Hi U-Boot Hackers,
> >
> > I have some problem regarding DHCP on my Atmel NGW100 board, when
> > using dnsmasq on the server side. I want to use the device for some
> > kind of automatic test suite runs.
> >
> > Does the support for this device is known to work in 2015.01?
>
> I have not tested and do not own a ngw100 but it is likely that it is
> still working. Avr32 in general has had very little changes in the past.
> I personally have access to a ngw100mkII, grasshopper and stk1002 board.
> They are tested from time to time. AFAIR there was no breakage in the
> last two or three years.
> I have to admit not all of these boards tested with 2015.01 yet. But I
> do not expect any surprise here.
>
> > Can I update the old existing U-Boot boot loader directly or
> > should I use FlashUpgrade tool from Atmel?
> > (http://mirror.egtvedt.no/avr32linux.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/FlashUpgradeUsage)
>
> I always do it directly or with my jtag ICE. It seems the FlashUpgrade
> is just some scripting to advise u-boot to do the update. I would prefer
> to do it for my own.

Thanks for the advice.
So I put my u-boot.bin file on tftp and do following:
tftp 0x10400000 u-boot.bin
protect off 0x0 0x1ffff
erase 0x0 0x1ffff
cp.b 0x10000000 0x0 0x1975c
protect on 0x0 0x1ffff
reset

While 0x1975c is the size I get after loading the u-boot.bin file
via tftp?

Uboot> setenv ipaddr 10.0.0.11
Uboot> tftp 0x010400000 u-boot.bin
macb0: Starting autonegotiation...
macb0: Autonegotiation timed out (status=0x7849)
macb0: link down (status: 0x7849)
macb1: Starting autonegotiation...
macb1: Autonegotiation complete
macb1: link up, 100Mbps full-duplex (lpa: 0x45e1)
Using macb1 device
TFTP from server 10.0.0.1; our IP address is 10.0.0.11
Filename 'u-boot.bin'.
Load address: 0x10400000
done
Bytes transferred = 138784 (21e20 hex)

So 0x21e20 ?

> > The existing version is:
> > U-Boot 1.1.4-at0 (Jan  3 2007 - 10:30:09)
>
> This is quite old. There where maybe a change of flash partitioning in
> between. This means that your existing environment partition may not be
> read in the newer version. I recommend to save the environment as a text
> file on your host before doing the update.

Okay, I made a copy of the information.

Thanks a lot for your time,
 Waldemar