[U-Boot] avr32 atmel ngw100 support question

Waldemar Brodkorb wbx at openadk.org
Wed Jan 14 00:23:14 CET 2015

Hi Andreas,
Andreas Bießmann wrote,

> Hi Waldemar,
>
> On 13.01.15 23:59, Waldemar Brodkorb wrote:
> > Hi Andreas,
> > Andreas Bießmann wrote,
> >
> >> Hi Waldemar,

> >> I have not tested and do not own a ngw100 but it is likely that it is
> >> still working. Avr32 in general has had very little changes in the past.
> >> I personally have access to a ngw100mkII, grasshopper and stk1002 board.
> >> They are tested from time to time. AFAIR there was no breakage in the
> >> last two or three years.
> >> I have to admit not all of these boards tested with 2015.01 yet. But I
> >> do not expect any surprise here.

> >> I always do it directly or with my jtag ICE. It seems the FlashUpgrade
> >> is just some scripting to advise u-boot to do the update. I would prefer
> >> to do it for my own.
> >
> > Thanks for the advice.
> > So I put my u-boot.bin file on tftp and do following:
> > tftp 0x10400000 u-boot.bin
> > protect off 0x0 0x1ffff
> > erase 0x0 0x1ffff
> > cp.b 0x10000000 0x0 0x1975c
>
> ouch, copy from should be 0x10400000

Ah, you are right. Copy and paste from some info from the net.
I used 0x10400000 to load the linux kernel.

> > protect on 0x0 0x1ffff
> > reset
> >
> > While 0x1975c is the size I get after loading the u-boot.bin file
> > via tftp?
>
> looks good. You could use some variables here:
>
> tftp 0x10400000 u-boot.bin
> protect off 0x0 +${filesize}
> erase 0x0 +${filesize}
> cp.b ${fileaddr} 0x0 ${fielsize}
> protect on 0x0 +${filesize}
> reset
>
> fileaddr/filesize env will be set after successful transfer, please
> check with your running version if they are set correctly first.

Yes, fileaddr and filesize seemed to be set correctly.
Uboot> printenv
baudrate=115200
ethaddr=00:04:25:1C:5A:AC
eth1addr=00:04:25:1C:5A:AD
bootcmd=fsload;bootm
bootdelay=3
bootargs=console=ttyS0 root=/dev/nfs ip=dhcp
bootfile=iod
stdin=serial
stdout=serial
stderr=serial
ethact=macb1
filesize=21e20
fileaddr=10400000
gatewayip=10.0.0.1
netmask=255.255.255.0
ipaddr=10.0.0.11
serverip=10.0.0.1

Environment size: 323/65532 bytes
Uboot> protect off 0x0 +${filesize}
Un-Protected 10 sectors
Uboot> erase 0x0 +${filesize}
Erasing sector   0...Erasing sector   1...Erasing sector
2...Erasing sector   3...Erasing sector   4...Erasing sector
5...Erasing sector   6...Erasing sector   7...Erasing sector
8...Erasing sector   9...

But unfortunately the device is dead after the erase command.

Where do you live with your JTAG programmer? ;)
Is a AVR dragon device usable to reprogram the NGW100?
Or what is my cheapest choice now?

best regards
 Waldemar