[U-Boot] avr32 atmel ngw100 support question

Waldemar Brodkorb wbx at openadk.org
Mon Jan 19 21:24:23 CET 2015

Hi Andreas,
Andreas Bießmann wrote,
> > But unfortunately the device is dead after the erase command.
>
> Damn, this damn old code run completely from NOR. Current u-boot
> versions relocate itself to ram after the very first bootstrap. Sorry, I
> did not know that these old versions do not relocate itself.

So after some unsuccessful tries with AVR Dragon, I got my hands on
a AVR STK600 from my working place. With this I got it working.
As a reference, I used AVR32 Studio 2.7 beta (Eclipse based) under Windows
and updated the firmware of STK600. Then I connected the NGW100 via
JTAG to the STK600.
Under Linux I used following, I couldn't choose NGW100 in the AVR32
Studio under Windows:
sudo ./avr32program -x avr32 -p stk600 erase -fcfi at 0
Connected to STK600 (rev D). Firmware version 0x020b.
     Unlocking flash:
================================================== 100.0%
       Erasing flash: done
sudo avr32program -x avr32 -p stk600 program -F bin -vfcfi at 0 u-boot.bin
Connected to STK600 (rev D). Firmware version 0x020b.
     Unlocking flash:
================================================== 100.0%
Programming 138784 bytes in 1 segment.
     Verifying flash:
================================================== 100.0%

And indeed my NGW100 boots up fine again:
U-Boot 2015.01 (Jan 14 2015 - 13:29:06)

U-Boot code: 00000000 -> 0001727c  data: 0001f668 -> 00055a78
VMR table @ 0x11fc9688
DMA: Using memory from 0x11f66000 to 0x11f6a000
Flash: 8 MiB at address 0x00000000
DRAM Configuration:
Bank #0: 10000000 32 MiB
In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Net:   macb0, macb1
mci: 0
Warning: Your board does not use generic board. Please read
doc/README.generic-board and take action. Boards not
upgraded by the late 2014 may break or be removed.
Press SPACE to abort autoboot in 1 seconds

Do I need to take any action so that board support is not removed?

Thanks Andreas for some hints about avr32program via private mail.

best regards
 Waldemar