[U-Boot] [ANN] git server, FTP server

Andreas Färber afaerber at suse.de
Sun Jul 19 18:59:56 CEST 2015

Dear Wolfgang,

Am 15.07.2015 um 14:51 schrieb Wolfgang Denk:
> In message <593AEF6C47F46446852B067021A273D6FBC788CC at MUCSE037.lantiq.com> you wrote:
>>
>> I tried to find a way to download a file with wget or a similar tool, which
>> would be used by a distribution builder (like Yocto, Buildroot, OpenWrt, ...).
>
> Why would any build environment use tarballs?  can you not just
> reference the git repository?  This is much more efficient, IMHO.

Open Build Service uses tarballs, too. We usually specify full URLs in
the RPM .spec file [1] both for documentation of origin and so that the
mirrored tarball can be verified via gpg or checksum where available.
As the actual build is intentionally done offline, at some point a
tarball is needed. The URL could happily be a redirect to some mirror.

When developing, Git is great of course.

Regards,
Andreas

[1]
https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/Base:System/u-boot/u-boot.spec.in?expand=1

GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Dilip Upmanyu, Graham Norton; HRB
21284 (AG Nürnberg)