[U-Boot] Disabling Autonegotiation

Christian Gmeiner christian.gmeiner at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 21:50:02 CEST 2015

Hi all

> Dear priyanka sharma,
>
> please keep the mailinmg list on Cc:
>
> In message <CAKynAoccK9AwcQrt-ggWRYj5RiTLtnf00+fU71=YMog+8eJZwA at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
>>
>> Disabling auto negotiation along with limiting  ethernet PHY to 100MBit is
>> a part of requirements for a custom solution.
>
> This does not actually answer my question.  What I'm interested to
> understand is _why_ you want to do that.  As mentioned before,
> autonegotiation is usually a good thing to have, and mandatory in many
> cases.  If you disable it, you probably want to work around some
> problem (eventually caused by broken or mis-designed hardware), and
> depending on the nature of the problem there might be better ways to
> solve it.

I have the same cosmetic issue (and can live with it). The cause to
disable autoneg
for my case is quite simple. On a custom imx6 based board the fec is
directly connected via MII to an Ethernet switch (KSZ8895). In that
case the link to
the switch is always up and autoneg does not work. Under linux I am using the
fixed phy device tree binding.

greets
--
Christian Gmeiner, MSc