[U-Boot] Please pull u-boot-sunxi master (fixes for v2015.07)

Joe Hershberger joe.hershberger at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 17:48:20 CEST 2015

Hi Ian,

On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 8:30 AM, Ian Campbell <ijc at hellion.org.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 2015-06-30 at 15:11 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> [...]
>> The latest patch-series seems to do the exact reverse. More knowledge is
>> being moved away from a central place and into defconfig files. As said
>> ARCH_SUNXI builds must always have CONFIG_DM* set, and yet now all sunxi
>> defconfig files need to set that explicitly.
>
> CONFIG_DM* seems like the sort of thing which ought to be select'd not
> default y'd (it's never really an user "option", it's something
> something else needs), but the recent change seems like a step in the
> wrong direction either way.

I agree that the DM configs should be selects where there is no other
option (that will usually, maybe always, be the case with those,
right?).

I can see where the recent changes appear to be a step in the wrong
direction, but I believe they are a step out of an unmanageable local
minima. We simply have to get away from defining configs in arch or
board Kconfigs. Unfortunately, the current mechanism for changing
defaults requires this.

I do not believe that we should do nothing further to improve the way
we use Kconfig, but I do believe strongly that we cannot allow this
approach to defaults to proliferate.

For your specific case, sunxi defconfigs should be no different if you
decide to "select" the DM options that always apply. Perhaps you
didn't look at the next patch which moved all default commands into
the Kconfig where those configs are actually defined?

Cheers,
-Joe