[U-Boot] Please pull u-boot-sunxi master (fixes for v2015.07)

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Tue Jun 30 19:17:23 CEST 2015

On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 10:48:20AM -0500, Joe Hershberger wrote:
> Hi Ian,
>
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 8:30 AM, Ian Campbell <ijc at hellion.org.uk> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2015-06-30 at 15:11 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> > [...]
> >> The latest patch-series seems to do the exact reverse. More knowledge is
> >> being moved away from a central place and into defconfig files. As said
> >> ARCH_SUNXI builds must always have CONFIG_DM* set, and yet now all sunxi
> >> defconfig files need to set that explicitly.
> >
> > CONFIG_DM* seems like the sort of thing which ought to be select'd not
> > default y'd (it's never really an user "option", it's something
> > something else needs), but the recent change seems like a step in the
> > wrong direction either way.
>
> I agree that the DM configs should be selects where there is no other
> option (that will usually, maybe always, be the case with those,
> right?).
>
> I can see where the recent changes appear to be a step in the wrong
> direction, but I believe they are a step out of an unmanageable local
> minima. We simply have to get away from defining configs in arch or
> board Kconfigs. Unfortunately, the current mechanism for changing
> defaults requires this.

Both the Kconfig and DM transition mean that we'll probably end up with
some ugly bits for a while.  But I want to take a poke around again and
see if it can be a bit better now, today.

> I do not believe that we should do nothing further to improve the way
> we use Kconfig, but I do believe strongly that we cannot allow this
> approach to defaults to proliferate.
>
> For your specific case, sunxi defconfigs should be no different if you
> decide to "select" the DM options that always apply. Perhaps you
> didn't look at the next patch which moved all default commands into
> the Kconfig where those configs are actually defined?

No, checkout say configs/A10-OLinuXino-Lime_defconfig and see all of the
DM_* stuff that's in there.  Hans' point is that it shouldn't be since
they must be set.  Having them correct in the config files (IMHO) helps,
but Hans' point I believe (And I see the validity there, there's _60_
sunxi boards today and more every week practically) is that making each
new board set this is wrong on many levels.

--
Tom