[U-Boot] No console output once kernel starts loading.

DaveKucharczyk david.kucharczyk at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 18:29:06 CET 2015

To update anyone who comes across this issue...

Yes, a stripped version of the dts, like above, is all that is necessary to
see console output. You just have to setup your uart pads correctly in
imx53.dtsi.

My main issue was the uart setting in .config.

I had earlyprintk turned on and the uart port number is one based. It
defaulted to port 1 while ours is port 2 (mxc1).

This zero based/one based inconsistency has bit me more than once. ;-)

Initially I thought it was a machine type mismatch, but that proved to be
wrong.

As a matter of fact I stripped all machine type references from u-boot and
kernel and it works fine.

My question is: Is it ok to remove machine type when using a newer version
of u-boot and linux?

The dtb has a model description, but no other handshake to validate the
system between u-boot and linux.