[U-Boot] Proposal to add NAND-boot support for Sunxi SPL

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Mon May 25 20:35:03 CEST 2015

Hi,

On 22-05-15 09:04, Roy Spliet wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For my set-up I made use of Boris Brezillon's sunxi-nand tree[1], or actually I rebased his patches on top of 4.0rc7. This basically adds support for NAND-chip partitioning, ECC and randomisation. Docs for the DT specification in Documentation/devicetree/bindings/mtd/sunxi-nand.txt , and an example can be found in arch/arm/boot/dts/sun7i-a20-cubietruck.dts . [2] lists the acceptable configuration options for the boot and boot_rescue partitions, make sure to pick one of these (which should be no problem for MLC-type nand). The ECC mode for these boot partitions is called hw_syndrome.
>
> Assuming you now have a Linux set-up kernel based on this tree with NAND support on an MMC, for U-boot what you should currently do is:
> 1) in include/configs/sunxi-common.h, adjust the parameters <CONFIG_NAND_SUNXI_>PAGE_SIZE, ECC_STEP, ECC_STRENGTH to match your NAND chip and DT configuration.
> 2) Build
> 3) Use your MMC to flash u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin onto NAND:
> # flash_erase /dev/mtd0
> # nandwrite -p /dev/mtd0 u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin
> 4) Reboot without the MMC card and see U-boot load

Ok, it took me way longer then I wanted (see below) but I've this
working now. It is cool to see u-boot load from nand :)

> That should be all.
>
> @Alex: To answer your question specifically: It's likely that the parameters in sunxi-common.h mentioned above might not match your NAND-chip configuration in the Linux kernel. I can't tell you precisely how to fetch these details from the 3.4 kernel, sorry. I recall Daniel using 24-bit strength ECC with otherwise equal parameters, but perhaps he can help you with this better than I can.

Alex, could it be that you are writing the nand using
a (rebased) version of bbrezillon's sunxi-nand-next branch ?

I started with that too because it is much newer and contains
various bug fixes, but it seems that it also contains a new
bug causing it to write the NAND in such a way that the BROM
and u-boot SPL code will not read it.

I've just pushed a rebased version of the sunxi-nand branch of
Boris here:

https://github.com/jwrdegoede/linux-sunxi/commits/sunxi-nand-experiment

And that works for me, where as before I got the exact same errors
trying to fel load a nand enabled spl.

I'm working on merging over all the changes from the sunxi-nand-next
branch onto my working sunxi-nand-experiment branch 1 by 1 until
I find the one which causes the breakage...

Regards,

Hans