[U-Boot] how to load u-boot environment from nand while spl is loading

Marek Vasut marex at denx.de
Wed Nov 11 16:38:22 CET 2015

On Wednesday, November 11, 2015 at 04:29:34 PM, Francesco Lucconi wrote:

Hi,

> I'm working with imx28evk reference board with u-boot 2011.12 and for my
> specific purposes I have to load u-boot nand environment during spl
> binary is loading. I'm working with a static environment but this is not
> so useful because I need to initialize some drivers (such as serial
> console) with the current values stored within nand flash environment
> (such as baudrate variable).
> Comparing my u-boot version with more recent ones (u-boot 2015.10) I've
> found out that the enviroment loading has been applied during ram
> bootstrapping...can't we do this operation before u-boot.bin has been
> loaded in ddr memory?
> Could you send me any tips to solve this issue?

I think that the latest mainline already configures the serial console from
the environment or at least it sets up the environment to be complete enough
for getenv() to work. I'd suggest you give that a spin.

I cannot help you with the ancient U-Boot from Freescale and I'd suggest you
to avoid it like plague if at all possible.

Best regards,
Marek Vasut