[U-Boot] MX6ULEVK does not boot

Fabio Estevam festevam at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 18:15:31 CET 2015

Hi Stefano,

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 3:09 PM, Stefano Babic <sbabic at denx.de> wrote:
> Hi Fabio,
>
> On 19/11/2015 17:13, Fabio Estevam wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 1:58 PM, Fabio Estevam <festevam at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Peng,
>>>
>>> Just noticed that mx6ulevk is not booting with latest U-boot:
>>>
>>> U-Boot SPL 2016.01-rc1-00078-g736d174 (Nov 19 2015 - 13:45:19)
>>> Trying to boot from MMC
>>> spl: mmc block read error
>>> SPL: failed to boot from all boot devices
>>> ### ERROR ### Please RESET the board ###
>>>
>>> I haven't had a chance to investigate/debug this yet.
>>
>> Looks like I cannot boot using my SanDisk micro SD card. I changed the
>> SD card and now it boots.
>
> I can confirm you this weirdness. It depends on the SD Card, I have seen
> the same on a iMX6 Dual. It does not boot with industrial card (Pretec,
> 1Gb), no problems with "HC" cards of any size (Toshiba, Sandisk, Hama,..).

It is interesting that I do not see the problem if I don't use SPL.

For example: on a mx6qsabresd I can boot the SanDisk card without
issues if I boot the mx6qbsabresd_deconfig target (u-boot.imx binary).

However, if I try booting the mx6sabresd_spl_defconfig (SPL +
u-boot.img) the boot fails with the same error as I noticed on the
mx6ul board.

So it seems this is is SPL MMC related problem.

Thanks,

Fabio Estevam