[U-Boot] v2015.10-rc2: timer not initialized on Kirkwood

Simon Guinot simon.guinot at sequanux.org
Wed Sep 2 17:49:30 CEST 2015

Hi,

While testing U-Boot v2015.10-rc2 on the Kirkwood-based LaCie boards
I noticed that the autoboot counter is not decrementing. It stays stuck
at '3' endlessly. After some digging, I found out that this regression
is due to the commit: ade741b3896b1a3872ff74437f04b50762d05849
"arm: mvebu: Call timer_init early before PHY and DDR init".

With this commit it appears that the timer initialization is skipped
on Kirkwood boards. As a consequence the timer is not ticking and then
all the features relying on the timer are most likely broken.

On the Kirkwood boards, the timer_init function is only called from
from the ARM init_sequence. SPL support is disabled. The problem is
that the patch introduces a static init_done variable (to prevent
multiple timer initializations). But while debugging the timer_init
function (via JTAG), I noticed that the init_done initial value is not
zero. So the function exists without initializing the timer. A possible
explanation is that timer_init is called before the U-Boot relocation,
when the BSS segment is still not available...

Maybe we should use an initialized variable instead ?

Regards,

Simon