[U-Boot] Galileo instructions

Bin Meng bmeng.cn at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 14:49:15 CEST 2015

Hi Simon,

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 8:45 PM, Simon Glass <sjg at chromium.org> wrote:
> Hi Bin,
>
> On 13 September 2015 at 03:28, Bin Meng <bmeng.cn at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Simon,
>>
>> On Sun, Sep 13, 2015 at 5:06 AM, Simon Glass <sjg at chromium.org> wrote:
>>> Hi Bin,
>>>
>>> I have a Galileo Gen 2 and am trying to get U-Boot to start on it. The
>>> first problem I have is that the schematic says the chip is a W25Q64FV
>>> which I think is an 8MB part, but the image produced is only 1MB.
>>
>> Yes, the board has an 8MB SPI flash, but U-Boot (u-boot.rom) only
>> utilizes the last 1MB.
>>

>>> Also I know that there is a Gen 1 and a Gen 2. I recall you saying
>>> that U-Boot supports the Gen 2 but can easily support the Gen 1. But
>>> perhaps I have done something wrong.
>>>

>> I've verified U-Boot can boot on both gen1 and gen2 boards.
>
> Thanks.
>>
>>> I downloaded the BSP from here:
>>>
>>> https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23197/Intel-Quark-BSP
>>>
>>> File name: Board_Support_Package_Sources_for_Intel_Quark_v1.1.0.7z
>>> Version: 1.1.0 (Latest)
>>>
>>> Date: 03/03/2015
>>> Size: 2.72 MB
>>>
>>> Any hints? I am using a dediprog em100 with a test clip over the flash chip.
>>>

>> It's not clear to me what issue you got. It looks like there might be
>> some issue for dediporg em100 to handle the rom size mismatch? If this
>> is the case, you can just create an 8MB u-boot.rom with the 1MB
>> version with other 7MB filled up with 0xFFs.
>
> OK I did this and it works, thanks.

So it's indeed the dediprog em100 cannot handle the rom mismatch?

> Why don't we just change the ROM size? This point is not mentioned in README.x86.

1MB is enough for U-Boot. u-boot.rom does not necessarily have to
match the SPI flash size. And on Galileo since there is no Intel ME,
so we don't need to create a whole 8MB rom. This is the same as Intel
CrownBay, which has a 2MB SPI flash, but still 1MB u-boot.rom.

Regards,
Bin