[U-Boot] ## Application terminated, rc = 0x1

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Sep 24 07:55:26 CEST 2015

Dear ba_f,

In message <5c515fb3b2f956768d10d2e2c2e9402e at rbg.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de> you wrote:

> But the kernel crushes pretty early with the following u-boot output:
>
> ## Starting application at 0x01000000 ...
> ## Application terminated, rc = 0x1

This is NOT a crash.  The program terminates normally with a return
code of 1.

> What may cause "Application terminated, rc = 0x1"?

Something that takes the same effect as "return(1)" from your main()
function, resp. an "exit(1)" from other parts of the code.

> I don't think it is a regular code exit, like main(){ return 1; }.

But yes, it is.  From the line

	## Application terminated, rc = 0x1

you can see that the program returned normally to U-Boot, and U-Boot
continues running (unless your code destroyed any of the U-Boot
execution environment).

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
I express preference for a chronological  sequence  of  events  which
precludes a violence.   - Terry Pratchett, _The Dark Side of the Sun_