[U-Boot] U-boot hang on Renesas porter

Sjoerd Simons sjoerd.simons at collabora.co.uk
Fri Sep 25 16:43:21 CEST 2015

Hey all,

I recently got a Renesas Porter board, obviously one of the first
things i wanted to do is replace its u-boot with a somewhat more recent
version.

Unfortunately upstream u-boot simply hangs during initialisation. Some
printf debugging showed that the board_init_r test sequence is
successful, but the board_init_f sequence never starts?

Curiously, u-boot master *does* starts when chainloaded from the NOR
loader (iotw tftp new u-boot to the expected CONFIG_SYS_TEXT_BASE and
jump into it). Which makes me suspect there is some initialisation
missing.

FWIW, to prevent toolchain issues, i've both tried gcc 4.9 (as
downloaded by buildman) as well as the gcc 5 cross-compilers from
Debian. I've also updated the QSPI loader with the latest one from the
elinux bage (PORTER_SPI_LOADER_V019_DDR3L.bin)

Current u-boot output:

PORTER SPI_LOADER(DDR3L) V0.19 2015.02.12
 DEVICE S25FL512

U-Boot 2015.10-rc3-00297-g1a9c229 (Sep 25 2015 - 16:25:46 +0200)

CPU: Renesas Electronics R8A7791 rev 2.0
Board: Porter
I2C:   ready
DRAM:  1 GiB

(At this point the board hangs)