[U-Boot] Newbie SPL question for socfpga_sockit

Marek Vasut marex at denx.de
Wed Apr 6 22:38:25 CEST 2016

On 04/06/2016 05:04 PM, Phil Reid wrote:
> On 6/04/2016 7:51 PM, Marek Vasut wrote:

>>> Spent a bit of time on it and things are very weird. So far no luck
>>> booting with the ddr branch.
>>> I got the memory calibration to pass but then had problems with loading
>>> uboot. Using the mmc.
>>> Say no device found for the mmc. error -19.
>>
>> Which board is this ? How wide is the MMC data bus ?
>>
>>> When I try to add some extra debug in things fall over.
>>> Sometimes just hangs in the Memory cal (and not changing anything
>>> there).
>>> Then sometimes I get missing DTB.
>>> I found the uboot-with-spl.sfp file generated by the latest uboot tree
>>> and tried burning that with
>>> same results.
>>>
>>> Reverted back to the image available on rocketboards and wrote that to
>>> the card.
>>> Thinking something strange with the card (thou I tried several) and that
>>> works fine.
>>> Sourced from
>>> https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/view/Documentation/AlteraSoCDevelopmentBoard
>>>

>> Are you actually using the SoCDK or some custom board ?
>>
> I've got two boards here.
> The Altera Cyclone V SoC FPGA Development Kit Board RevC
> which is the SocDK right?

Yes, that's the SoCDK.

Can you confirm to me whether or not the SoCDK boots reliably in the
default configuration provided with u-boot-socfpga/ddr branch, with DRAM
calibration always passing?

If the MMC fails, can you show me how do you test the MMC ?

I will try the SOCDK later, once I have some time. Boot/output log would
really help too.

> And our own board design.
>
> Our design works fine with new uboot's.
> Just can't get things to work with the dek kit.
> It's fairly similar to the SocDK
>
> I'm building two different version of uboot.
> Using the two different qts generated files.
> I've setup a separate defconfig / dts and board config for our board.
>
> I'd really like to find the quartus project that was used to generate
> the qts files committed into the uboot tree. All the ones I've used so
> far have different ddr timing and pin configs!

It's most likely generated from GHRD 15.0 or 15.1 , the result should be
the same either way.

Marek Vasut