[U-Boot] Newbie SPL question for socfpga_sockit

Marek Vasut marex at denx.de
Thu Apr 7 04:05:09 CEST 2016

On 04/07/2016 03:42 AM, George Broz wrote:

Hi,

>>> U-Boot SPL 2016.03 (Apr 05 2016 - 17:57:23)
>>> drivers/ddr/altera/sequencer.c: Preparing to start memory calibration
>>> drivers/ddr/altera/sequencer.c: CALIBRATION PASSED
>>> drivers/ddr/altera/sequencer.c: Calibration complete
>>> Trying to boot from MMC1
>>>
>>> First time that an SPL built from a recent version has run successfully
>>> on that board.
>>>
>>> Will try it out on de0 tomorrow morning...
>>
>> This is great news, thanks!
>
> This patch also fixes the intermittent SDRAM calibration failures on my
> de0_nano_soc board. Thanks so much!

Great

> Now with up-to-date versions of SPL and image... I have some
> USB questions/news/observations:
>
> When using an OTG cable between USB port and mass storage
> device, the de0_nano_soc board is able to detect and access some USB
> sticks. The detection with these is almost immediate from when 'usb start'
> is entered. If the same (working) USB stick is used with a non-OTG cable,
> I get the timeout messages from before:
>
> dwc_otg_core_host_init: Timeout!
> dwc_otg_core_host_init: Timeout!
>
> and this is true even if I add 'dr_mode = "host" '

I don't think the driver supports the dr_mode property yet. Patch is
welcome.

> to the dts for usb1
> of the de0
> (and rebuild/reload). The older SPL/image that ships from the Terasic factory
> detects USB sticks with a non-OTG cable, (the cable that ships with the unit).
> What is the correct "expected" behavior here?? Is an OTG cable required or
> not?

The DWC2 driver tests the value of the OTG ID pin, so if you don't use
OTG cable with correct ID pin setup, the host won't work.

> Even with the OTG cable, some USB sticks "fail" in a not-so-great way.
> I have a Kingston stick and the sequence goes like this:
>
> => usb reset
> resetting USB...
> USB0:   Core Release: 2.93a
> scanning bus 0 for devices...
>
> <<< 1 minute, 41 seconds pass before >>>
> ... Device NOT ready
>    Request Sense returned 00 00 00
>
>  <<< then another  24 seconds pass before >>>
>
> 2 USB Device(s) found
>
> It was able to read some information about the stick:
>
> => usb info
> :
> 2: Mass Storage,  USB Revision 2.0
> - Kingston DataTraveler SE9 0014857749E5ECB0173000D3
> - Class: (from Interface) Mass Storage
> - PacketSize: 64  Configurations: 1
> - Vendor: 0x0930  Product 0x6545 Version 1.0
>    Configuration: 1
>    - Interfaces: 1 Bus Powered 200mA
>      Interface: 0
>      - Alternate Setting 0, Endpoints: 2
>      - Class Mass Storage, Transp. SCSI, Bulk only
>      - Endpoint 1 In Bulk MaxPacket 512
>      - Endpoint 2 Out Bulk MaxPacket 512
>
> BUT, the stick cannot be accessed otherwise, for example:
>
> => usb part 0
> ## Unknown partition table type 0
>

> Is there any feature of the USB stick that would indicate
> whether or not it is "compatible" with u-boot?

Can you do "dcache off" before you do "usb reset" and see if that fixes
the problem ?

> Thanks again for the calibration fix! Let me
> know if there is something else I can test!

Yeah, I CCed you on the DDR patches, so you can reply with your
Tested-By for SoCkit and Nano-SoC. Thanks

Best regards,
Marek Vasut