[U-Boot] worth cleaning redundancies out of some board Makefiles?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed Apr 13 23:54:22 CEST 2016

On Wed, 13 Apr 2016, Wolfgang Denk wrote:

> Dear Robert,
>
> In message <alpine.LFD.2.20.1604130912400.7138 at localhost.localdomain> you wrote:
> >
> >   again, in my travels, i noticed board Makefiles like, say,
> > board/freescale/bsc9131rdb/Makefile:
> >   obviously(?), it's redundant to select building tlb.o and law.o in
> > both parts of the conditional, when it could look like:
> >   is it worth submitting a patch or two that cleans up that sort of
> > thing, perhaps on a vendor-by-vendor basis? i can do that bit by bit
> > if it's worth it.
>
> Yes!  All such cleanup patches are much appreciated, both for the
> better code and for the educational effect.  Of course, this is just
> my 0.02€ ...

  doesn't take long to start seeing the recurring patterns in those
Makefiles. :-) a couple oddities, lines like this:

obj-y   = m5208evbe.o
obj-y   := mpc5121ads.o

  is there a rationale for using either of "=" or ":=" in those
Makefiles, as opposed to the ubiquitous "+="?  surely in those cases,
there is absolutely no functional difference, but the sudden change in
operator can be confusing.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca