[U-Boot] Ethernet on FDI3250 board

Jonatan Personal jonafischer at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 21:50:06 CEST 2016

Hi everyone, I'm working on a FDI3250 board (after a long time I purchased
this board, I finally found time to work on it) and I'm facing a problem
with uboot and ethernet. I know from commit logs that Vladimir Zapolskiy is
working on a LPC3250 based board and is developing all or parts of the
ethernet driver for this SoC. I'm working using buildroot 2016.02 which has
support for uboot version 2016.01. I added the definitions of my board to
the uboot sources based on devkit3250 board, and I got a working image only
if I disable (comment using a C block comment /* ... */) all ethernet
related configuration settings. If I enable ethernet and write the
configuration settings that I think make sense for my board (FDI3250 uses
KSZ8041NL Micrel phy), uboot hangs. For now, ethernet connector and
magnetics are not populated (I'm waiting for a DigiKey package to finish
it, the downside of living in the wrong side of the world), I don't think
this should be a problem, but just in case I want to describe my actual
setup.

My configuration settings for ethernet:
/*
 * Ethernet
 * JF: Ethernet not working for now, review eth driver later...
 */
#define CONFIG_RMII
#define CONFIG_PHY_MICREL
#define CONFIG_LPC32XX_ETH
#define CONFIG_PHYLIB
#define CONFIG_PHY_ADDR                 0x0001
#define CONFIG_SYS_FAULT_ECHO_LINK_DOWN
#define CONFIG_CMD_MII
#define CONFIG_CMD_PING
#define CONFIG_CMD_DHCP

Console output when ethernet is disabled:

U-Boot 2016.01 (Apr 12 2016 - 14:56:14 -0300)

CPU:   NXP LPC32XX
CPU clock:        266MHz
AHB bus clock:    133MHz
Peripheral clock: 13MHz
I2C:   ready
DRAM:  64 MiB
WARNING: Caches not enabled
NAND:  512 MiB
In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Net:   Net Initialization Skipped
No ethernet found.
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
=>

Console output when ethernet is enabled:

U-Boot 2016.01 (Apr 13 2016 - 15:29:03 -0300)

CPU:   NXP LPC32XX
CPU clock:        266MHz
AHB bus clock:    133MHz
Peripheral clock: 13MHz
I2C:   ready
DRAM:  64 MiB

Please Vladimir (or someone else who is familiar with lpc32xx code) can you
give me a pointer of what can be happening with the ethernet driver?

Thanks in advance,

Jonatan R. Fischer