[U-Boot] Error during U-boot

shubham sharma shubhamsh695 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 06:47:17 CEST 2016

Hello

I am trying to compile and build a u-boot for installing Linaro on the
Avnet Digilent Zedboard. I am doing the build in Ubuntu 15.04.
I have been mostly following these links

http://fpga.org/2013/05/24/yet-another-guide-to-running-linaro-ubuntu-desktop-on-xilinx-zynq-on-the-zedboard/#comment-13

http://www.manolisragkousis.com/blog/2014/05/05/linux-on-zedboard/

I have built the device tree .dtb file and the uimage as mentioned in these
links. However while cross-compiling I am constantly getting the following
error.

shubham at shubham-HP-Pavilion-Notebook:~/Documents/u-boot-digilent$ sudo make
scripts/kconfig/conf  --silentoldconfig Kconfig
  CHK     include/config.h
  GEN     include/autoconf.mk
  GEN     include/autoconf.mk.dep
  GEN     spl/include/autoconf.mk
  CHK     include/config/uboot.release
  UPD     include/config/uboot.release
  CHK     include/generated/version_autogenerated.h
  UPD     include/generated/version_autogenerated.h
  CHK     include/generated/timestamp_autogenerated.h
  UPD     include/generated/timestamp_autogenerated.h
  CC      lib/asm-offsets.s
lib/asm-offsets.c:1:0: error: bad value (armv5) for -march= switch
 /*
 ^
Kbuild:43: recipe for target 'lib/asm-offsets.s' failed
make[1]: *** [lib/asm-offsets.s] Error 1
Makefile:1254: recipe for target 'prepare0' failed
make: *** [prepare0] Error 2

I am using the cross-compiler arm-xilinx-linux-gnueabi
I understand that the error is due to this statement in the Makefile at the
location /home/shubham/Documents/u-boot-digilent/arch/arm  or
 /home/shubham/Documents/u-boot-xlnx/arch/arm  (depending on which of the
links are followed) :
arch-$(CONFIG_CPU_V7) =$(call cc-option, -march=armv7-a, -march=armv5)

I have tried all visible solutions on the internet and some on my own
(editing the Makefile). I have also tried to go through the archive emails.
Nothing seems to be working. Any help will be greatly appreciated. This is
an integral step and an impossible hurdle for the future of my project.

Thanking You
Shubham Sharma