[U-Boot] Porting Linux's MTD/NAND changes into U-Boot

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Mon Apr 25 19:36:46 CEST 2016

On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 04:43:14PM +0200, Boris Brezillon wrote:

> Hi Scott,
>
> I've recently contributed a lot of MTD/NAND related patches (and intend
> to continue doing so). Some of them are transversal changes touching the
> MTD and NAND framework internals, which implies patching all NAND
> drivers along with the core changes.
>
> All those changes are required to properly handle modern NANDs (MLC/TLC
> NANDs), and I need them to add proper NAND support to the sunxi
> platform (and more particularly to the C.H.I.P from NextThing Co.).
>
> So my question is, how should I port those changes to U-Boot? I see
> that your doing "synchronization commits", but in my case this mean
> including a bunch of driver specific changes into this "sync commit".
>
> I think it's also worth mentioning that I plan to heavily rework the
> Linux NAND framework to improve NAND performances on modern NAND
> controllers and clarify the NAND chip / NAND controller concepts, and
> other people are also working on merging the BBT code of the NAND and
> OneNAND framework. Which unfortunately means that we're not done porting
> invasive changes to U-Boot :-/.
>
> Any advice is welcome.

I suppose my first suggestion would be to sync the kernel back into
U-Boot more frequently.  With our bi-monthly release cycle it shouldn't
be too hard to pick a window to grab the current kernel release and
bring it over.  I think the more stuff we let build up prior to syncing
the harder it will be.

--
Tom