[U-Boot] Network boot fallback usage/features

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Aug 1 15:48:18 CEST 2016

Dear Dragan,

In message <39afb55812f6cf1f1f955c73c6f12d32.squirrel at webmail.tu-dortmund.de> you wrote:

> I'm about to use U-Boot for an embedded project. I need a fallback

You posted the very same question  (three!) times within just a couple
of hours.  I highly recommend you to read [1], especially section [2].

> strategy if the network boot (no matter what exactly) fails e.g. no server
> reached after a timeout period. In this case it should boot an linux image
> from flash memory.
>
> The U-Boot docs say nothing about that...

Well, actually it does, even with a complete example.  See [3]

[1] http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
[2] http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#urgent
[2] http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/CommandLineParsing

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Some programming languages manage to  absorb  change,  but  withstand
progress.          -- Epigrams in Programming, ACM SIGPLAN Sept. 1982