[U-Boot] [GIT] Pull request: u-boot-dfu

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Wed Aug 17 17:12:15 CEST 2016

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 04:55:52PM +0200, Lukasz Majewski wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> > On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 11:56:59AM +0200, Lukasz Majewski wrote:
> > > Hi Heiko, Ravi,

> > > Heiko, thanks for your support.
> > >
> > > Ravi, Marek Vasut before accepting PR tests following archs with
> > > buildman: arm, aarch64, mips, powerpc, nios2 [1]
> > >
> > > Regarding the CONFIG_SYS_CACHELINE_SIZE, some older boards do not
> > > define it. Hence we have several problems (also with other patches
> > > http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/657216/).
> > >
> > > IMHO, it would be best to check [1] and then add this define if
> > > required.
> > >
> > > Or does anybody have any better idea?
> >
> > This is something we can get right in Kconfig, I believe.  Looking at
> > the Linux Kernel, the relevant bits I think are in
> > arch/arm/mm/Kconfig: config ARM_L1_CACHE_SHIFT_6
> >         bool
> >         default y if CPU_V7
> >         help
> >           Setting ARM L1 cache line size to 64 Bytes.
> >
> > config ARM_L1_CACHE_SHIFT
> >         int
> >         default 6 if ARM_L1_CACHE_SHIFT_6
> >         default 5
> >
> > I only hesitate a little as there's not a 1:1 match-up between those
> > values and all ARMv7 platforms we have today for example.
>
> True.
>
> I do recall that some Cortex-A9 had 32B L1 cache and Cortex-A8 had 64B
> L1 cache line size.
>
> And both were ARMv7 cores.

I had a quick conversation with some folks and the answer is that it's
OK to round up (as it appears that our uses of CONFIG_SYS_CACHELINE_SIZE
are) so long as the mechanics of the flushes work at the smallest
implemented increment, which is what the Linux Kernel does and we're
using that code.  So we should be safe to mirror the kernel logic here.

--
Tom