[U-Boot] Travis CI

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Thu Dec 1 01:39:03 CET 2016

On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 09:55:52PM +0000, york sun wrote:
> On 11/30/2016 01:43 PM, york.sun at nxp.com wrote:

> >> The Travis results are all public. For example, you can look at the URL
> >> below to see the build for Tom's github clone of the main u-boot.git:
> >>
> >> https://emea01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Ftravis-ci.org%2Fu-boot%2Fu-boot&data=01%7C01%7Cyork.sun%40nxp.com%7C09609202d44942fb21e908d41968d98b%7C686ea1d3bc2b4c6fa92cd99c5c301635%7C0&sdata=gD64O8j98pt1nZZW39YCPWd7NDM4OcctfJG8pjBGsNc%3D&reserved=0
> >>

> >> The last test run appears to have taken about 49 minutes total. IIRC Tom
> >> mentioned 1-2 hours total in the past.

Note that the "elapsed time" can become quite wrong if you go to a
failed build, see that one of the sub-jobs failed for bad reasons (for
example, sometimes we get a failure with the ppa we use for qemu), and
restart just that part and it completes.  Most recently I see one took
around 2.5 hours as I've added in more build targets since I gave the
initial time.

That said, those 2.5 hours build just about every buildable target in
U-Boot, and run test.py via qemu for a few.  And it's totally free.  To
me it's a great "last test" before sending out a PR or a big series.  I
use it as part of my pre-pushing tests.

> >> Travis uses github hooks to detect pushes, so I typically see it start
> >> builds almost immediately after a push to an enabled branch.
> >>

> > Stephen,
> >
> > Thanks for the pointer. I am getting myself familiar with Travis CI. I
> > have been using Jenkins. Compiling 100 commits for powerpc (418 targets)
> > takes many hours to finish.
>
> I took a test run and found without the "-b", buildman only builds
> current source tree, not for each commit. It is a good tool but maybe
> this is not for my purpose.

Yes, this is not a tool for building every part of a series.  I still
use a different machine to build before/after for just about everything
and look at size changes for example.

--
Tom