[U-Boot] net: e1000: support for intel 82579

Marcel Ziswiler marcel.ziswiler at toradex.com
Thu Dec 8 05:33:41 CET 2016

On Wed, 2016-12-07 at 16:08 +0100, Markus Valentin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> did somebody already did some effort to support the intel 82579
> Gigabit
> Ethernet PHY with the e1000 driver?

I have not tried 82579 in particular but back when I brought up our
i210/i211 based modules I do remember that one at least as a bare
minimum would have to add its PCI device ID to the following table:

http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot.git;a=blob;f=drivers/net/e1000.c;h=875682b
1b89e1ee31b7226e646be3c108b850933;hb=HEAD#l73

Looking at the mainline Linux 82579 support you also may have to add
some specific automatic PHY configuration (un-)gating. Plus more
advanced features like EEE LPI, ME or jumbo frames may need more work
but are probably not required in a boot loader.

> In my naive try to add it i had no success yet.

Then enabling debugging and looking at whether the driver gets called
from the PCIe side of things at all and later how far it gets in
bringing the Ethernet linke up will help.

> Regards
> Markus

Cheers

Marcel