[U-Boot] Enable redundant u-boot environment for iMX6 (Yocto)

brendan brendan.ta at jacques.com.au
Tue Dec 13 23:06:12 CET 2016

Hello,

I'm looking to enable a redundancy enabled "ping-pong" u-boot environment
for my iMX6 (VAR-SOM-MX6 CPU: NXP/Freescale iMX6) to ensure that if there
was system failure that there will always be a CRC checked and valid
environment available in NAND flash.  I have read the documentation and
noticed that there is the available functionality of CONFIG_ENV_ADDR_REDUND
and CONFIG_ENV_SIZE_REDUND.

My questions are; how do I determine my redundant address and size?  Should
they just match my original defines?  I am using a custom mtd partition
sizing which I have configured by the use of a sw-description file (using
swupdate to handle the update process), will there be any issues that can be
foreseen?

Also, because I am using Yocto (I know this is outside the scope of u-boot)
would it be wise to add a patch or append file within Yocto?  or simply host
this in a separate repository?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I cannot find any in depth
documentation relating to this so I am looking for any resources available.

Regards,
Brendan