[U-Boot] do i have any chance of booting a vxworks 5.5.2 image with u-boot?

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Tue Feb 2 18:36:48 CET 2016

On Mon, Feb 01, 2016 at 05:20:16PM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   i know u-boot has a "bootvx" command for booting vxworks images,
> but from what i read here:
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24114948/vxworks-portingdm8168
>
> it's only vxworks 7 that supports u-boot as its bootloader. i know
> precious little about vxworks, i was just handed a version 5.5.2
> image and asked whether it was possible for u-boot to boot it.
>
>   do i have any chance whatsoever? any guidance would be useful.

Well, I think there's two parts to this answer.  The first is that (on
PowerPC), VxWorks has been supported for practically forever.  The
second is that as the answers there say, you may have to deal with and
fix some disagreements about what software (U-Boot or VxWorks) did or
did not do what initalization.  You may also, frankly, want to start out
with a U-Boot of that vintage, see if that works, and if so (and it'd be
great to see results and patches if needed) if things still work in
mainline today.

--
Tom