[U-Boot] do i have any chance of booting a vxworks 5.5.2 image with u-boot?

Hannes Schmelzer hannes at schmelzer.or.at
Thu Feb 4 12:43:08 CET 2016

On 02/03/2016 12:16 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> Quoting Tom Rini <trini at konsulko.com>:
>
>> On Mon, Feb 01, 2016 at 05:20:16PM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>
>>>   i know u-boot has a "bootvx" command for booting vxworks images,
>>> but from what i read here:
>>>
>>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24114948/vxworks-portingdm8168
>>>
>>> it's only vxworks 7 that supports u-boot as its bootloader. i know
>>> precious little about vxworks, i was just handed a version 5.5.2
>>> image and asked whether it was possible for u-boot to boot it.
>>>
>>>   do i have any chance whatsoever? any guidance would be useful.
>>
>> Well, I think there's two parts to this answer.  The first is that (on
>> PowerPC), VxWorks has been supported for practically forever. The
>> second is that as the answers there say, you may have to deal with and
>> fix some disagreements about what software (U-Boot or VxWorks) did or
>> did not do what initalization.  You may also, frankly, want to start out
>> with a U-Boot of that vintage, see if that works, and if so (and it'd be
>> great to see results and patches if needed) if things still work in
>> mainline today.
>
>   i'm certainly willing to put in the time to do this -- i have the
> hardware and the appropriate build environment so give me a day or two
> to finish something, and i can pretty much concentrate on this and
> submit any patches that eventually get this to work.
>
> rday
Hi Robert, Tom,

bootvx also boots some vxWorks 6.9.x in my case.
Before i've used the bootvx command i simply fired the vxworks image
with go <loadaddr>

The kernel-configuration of the vxworks Image has a define called
RUNTIME_LOW_ADDRS, load your
image to this address and give a go on this address.

your vxWorks kernel should boot.
I've stripped the vxWorks build output with "objcopyarm -O binary
--binary-without-bss"

You don't have a bootline initialization at this time.
If you want some initalization of it, the bootvx command is the right way.

Have a look to the B&R kwb board in uboot (kwb.h)

Feel free to ask if something doesn't work.

best regards,
Hannes