[U-Boot] how does board_init_f() -> board_init_r?

quantumlight peter.feifan.chen at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 02:52:12 CET 2016

I am trying to modify the bootloader code for NVIDIA's jetson board.

So I am looking at crt0.S. It seems that two builds happen, one with
CONFIG_SPL_BUILD and one without. So you end up with two file, u-boot.bin
and spl/u-boot-spl.bin.

However, I am unable to find the code path that calls board_init_r() after
board_init_f() finishes, although there are several candidates:

1) crt0.S - if CONFIG_SPL_BUILD was not defined, then it would fall straight
through to board_init_r() - HOWEVER, for u-boot.bin, isn't CONFIG_SPL_BUILD
defined in autoconf.h? Or is this some clever magic between how u-boot.bin
and spl/u-boot-spl.bin are stitched together?
2) _weak board_init_f in arch/arm/lib/spl.c - HOWEVER, shouldn't this be
overloaded by board_init_f in common/board_f.c?
3) board_init_f_r in common/board_f.c - HOWEVER, nothing calls
board_init_f_r().

Can someone illuminate me on how this happens?