[U-Boot] Issue with USB mass storage (thumb drives)

Schrempf Frieder frieder.schrempf at exceet.de
Thu Feb 18 11:05:03 CET 2016

On 04.02.2016 12:28, Marek Vasut wrote:
> On Thursday, February 04, 2016 at 09:21:08 AM, Schrempf Frieder wrote:

>>> Another thing to try may be limiting the value of USB_MAX_XFER_BLK in
>>> common/usb_storage.c
>> This was a really helpful hint! Thank you Sergei!
>>
>> I just tried to limit USB_MAX_XFER_BLK to 1/8 of the original value
>> (65535 -> 8191) and this time the transfer works without timeouts.
>>
>> As we have a customer who needs this working as soon as possible my
>> question now is how to properly solve this.
>> Should I generally limit USB_MAX_XFER_BLK in my u-boot to avoid these
>> errors? Which value to choose?
> Nice! Can you share which sticks are those, ideally brand/type and USB IDs ?
At the moment I have two sticks with the same chip around for which
setting USB_MAX_XFER_BLK from 65535 to 32767 fixed the file transfer.
Also one of our customers tested a few non-working sticks with this
change and reported, that it fixed it for him.
Here's a list of those devices, but I guess there are a lot more:

1. Silicon Motion, Inc. - Taiwan (formerly Feiya Technology Corp.) Flash
Drive, VID: 0x090c, PID: 0x1000
2. Freecom Technologies, VID: 0x07ab, PID: 0xfcf1
3. Newron, VID: 0x8644, PID: 0x800e
4. GEMBIRD PhotoFrame PF-15-1, VID:  0x1908, PID: 0x1320