[U-Boot] U-Boot loading kernel from mmc question

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Feb 19 06:35:44 CET 2016

Dear quantumlight,

In message <1455856589187-246390.post at n7.nabble.com> you wrote:
> I am trying to figure out how the bootm command in U-Boot works. It seems to
> be a state machine that goes from start->findos->findother (fdt)->loados
> etc.
>
> However I am having trouble understanding how, since my linux image is
> stored in some partition on the device (eMMC), does that get loaded into
> memory?

No, it doesn't.  The 'm' inte "bootm" command name stands for
"memory", i. e. "boot from memory".  Bootm is used on images that can
be found somewhere in the processor's memor address space.  So unless
you have parallel NOR flash or similar, booting is always a two step
procedure: in the first step you load the image from MMC into RAM,
then you use bootm.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Q: What do you get when you cross an ethernet with an income statement?
A: A local area networth.