[U-Boot] u-boot countdown too fast - USB host problems

MAtthias matthias.mitscherlich at microkey.nl
Fri Feb 19 13:58:34 CET 2016

We have designed our own PCBs based on an Freescale i.MX6 Dual CPU. Based on
the Development kit from element14 (comparable with the sabrelight kits).

Our development so far is fine. We have U-Boot 2014-07 running from a SST25
SPI flash, which automatically boots into Linux 3.0.35 (buildroot 2014.05).
All well and fine, until I did hardware verification for 10 just produced
PCBs.
On one of them, U-Boot behaves rather strange and I have few ideas left
where to look at:
- U-Boot countdown of 5 Seconds counts way faster (approx 1,5 seconds)
- U-Boot denies recognition of an otherwise fine USB-Stick on which we place
an update script that automatically writes the kernel to an MMC. However, I
can reset and start the usb subsystem from u-boot console and most of the
time, the usb-stick will be detected then

For the rest, everything runs fine for as far as I can see. Linux kernel
boots and I can use it normally. Also no instabilities.

We checked all voltages and the external oscillators. They are all fine.
Does anyone have an idea where to look at?
Thanks in advance