[U-Boot] [ANN] U-Boot v2016.07 is released

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Mon Jul 11 21:52:12 CEST 2016

Hey all,

I've released v2016.07 and it's now live on git and FTP and ACD.  As a
possible bonus, the tarball is now signed with my PGP key.

Looking over the changes in this release, I would say it's another good,
solid, iterative improvement over the last.  MMC has moved to DM, we
have more tests for DM now too.  ARM (32 and 64bit), MIPS, x86 have all
seen improvements.  We've also switched to mirroring what the Linux
Kernel does for "libgcc" type functionality now which should help with
supporting the compilers that most distributions ship while still
catching the types of errors we want caught.  We've moved a few more
options over to Kconfig (caught some problems in our tools too) and are
once again ready for more.  I think we have enough tests available now
(thanks to tbot) that really even the complicated things can be moved
over now and verified as correct, it's just a matter of doing it.  We
also have the ability for SPL to load FIT images and thus pick the right
DT to pass along to the main U-Boot binary.

As always, I know I'm missing pointing out a few things that I should
point out and would encourage folks to chime in if there's anything they
would like to highlight.  But one last thing I want to highlight is that
with the two month release cycle I am feeling more comfortable with
saying that we can wait a little bit longer to pull in changes.  It's
not quite like the Linux Kernel -rc1 window but I'm expecting more
critical review from myself, and everyone else too in terms of taking in
changes the later in the release cycle it gets.

Thanks again everyone!

--
Tom