[U-Boot] what is the *recommended* split between defconfig file and header file?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue Jul 19 10:15:47 CEST 2016

  kind of a style question but what is the preferred way to define a
board in the sense of what belongs in the defconfig file and what
belongs in the header file?

  example: i'm now messing with a MPC8315ERDB, and here's
configs/MPC8315ERDB_defconfig in its entirety:

CONFIG_PPC=y
CONFIG_MPC83xx=y
CONFIG_TARGET_MPC8315ERDB=y
CONFIG_OF_BOARD_SETUP=y
CONFIG_OF_STDOUT_VIA_ALIAS=y
CONFIG_BOOTDELAY=6
CONFIG_HUSH_PARSER=y
CONFIG_CMD_I2C=y
CONFIG_CMD_USB=y
# CONFIG_CMD_SETEXPR is not set
CONFIG_CMD_MII=y
CONFIG_CMD_PING=y
CONFIG_CMD_EXT2=y
CONFIG_SYS_NS16550=y
CONFIG_OF_LIBFDT=y

  based on my current understanding, the absolute minimum i would need
in this defconfig file is just the first three lines:

CONFIG_PPC=y
CONFIG_MPC83xx=y
CONFIG_TARGET_MPC8315ERDB=y

which is sufficient to get me to the corresponding header file
include/configs/MPC8315ERDB.h, at which point we're good.

  but is there a recommended style for what belongs in the defconfig
file, and what belongs in the header file? or is that all just
personal preference?

  i do appreciate that if there is a family of closely-related target
boards, the header file can further include a "common" header file to
avoid duplication but, beyond that, any style rules?

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca