[U-Boot] MPC8347 Initial Boot problems

Simon Glass sjg at chromium.org
Fri Jul 22 05:20:54 CEST 2016

Hi Austin,

On 20 July 2016 at 14:21, Gardner, Austin (GE Transportation)
<austin.gardner at ge.com> wrote:
> Simon,
>
> Thanks for the response!
>
> I do not have any debug facilities unfortunately, and I don't think it is a board fault either. The text base you're referring to is "CONFIG_SYS_TEXT_BASE" correct? Originally the value for this for the MPC8349EMDS board is: 0xFE000000, but the docs for our MPC8347 board says that the boot loader needs to be at location: 0xFF800000, possibly at 0xFF800100 for issues with an offset.
>
> Further research has lead me to believe that I need to use UBoot 1.1.3 due to the BSP documentation stating that it uses is 1.1.3, and I think because it was configured for it, we have to use it. I have run into many problems trying to make a binary for the 1.1.3. When I use the most recent version of the ELDK I get a binary of around 4.5GBs, and when I try and use an earlier version of the ELDK (3.1.1) I get a segmentation fault immediately when I try and configure it.
>
> Any ideas?

I'm really not sure about this. The large binary suggests that you
have code/data at 0 and at 0xfe000000, which seems wrong. So the image
is trying to bridge the gap and ends up being huge.

If you have a working image from an old U-Boot and can build it from
source, that helps a lot, since you can compare settings, etc. Sorry I
can't help more...

Regards,
Simon