[U-Boot] [arm] Where to put files for armv8 ThunderX

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Tue Jun 21 07:12:40 CEST 2016

Hi Aaron,

On 21.06.2016 00:15, Aaron Williams wrote:
> I have just been handed the task of cleaning up our U-Boot port to our
> ThunderX armv8 chip and am wondering where I should put the files
> specific to our chip.
>
> The people who previously worked on the chip created a subdirectory
> under u-boot and have things scattered about.
>
> Should I create a subdirectory under arch/arm/cpu/armv8 like
> arch/arm/cpu/armv8/mach-thunderx or should I create a mach-thunderx
> directory directly under the cpu directory?

I personally prefer mach-thunderx over cpu/xxx/xxx. This is the newer
"directory style" at least for armv7 or earlier platforms. With less
directory levels to type.

> I'm assuming include files should go under
> arch/arm/include/asm/arch-thunderx.

Or arch/arm/mach-thunderx/include/asm.

> I very much want to get this stuff pushed upstream so I don't run into
> the situation we've been stuck with our Octeon MIPS processors.  My
> biggest problem is that a lot of code doesn't work.
>
> I'm still trying to get up to speed with the armv8 U-Boot.

There should be many people on the list being able to assist with
armv8 related questions.

Thanks,
Stefan