[U-Boot] Newbie SPL question for socfpga_sockit

Phil Reid preid at electromag.com.au
Wed Mar 2 04:49:40 CET 2016

On 2/03/2016 10:40 AM, George Broz wrote:

> Sorry for the delayed response - got called away, but am back to this
> now. I patched
> socfpga_common.h and re-built the project. I picked up
> spl/u-boot-spl-dtb.sfp and
> u-boot-dtb.img and transferred them to the SD card with:
>
> dd if=u-boot-spl-dtb.sfp of=/dev/sdf3 bs=64k seek=0
> dd if=u-boot-dtb.img of=/dev/sdf3 bs=64k seek=4
>
> Tried this with both the original DT set (socfpga.dtsi, socfpga_cyclone.dtsi,
> socfpga_cyclone5_sockit.dts) that came with the u-boot v2016.01 download and
> also an Altera-patched DT set that I've used to boot into Linux numerous times.
>
> When I start up the board I get:
>
> U-Boot SPL 2016.01 (Mar 01 2016 - 17:28:14)
> drivers/ddr/altera/sequencer.c: Preparing to start memory calibration
> drivers/ddr/altera/sequencer.c: CALIBRATION FAILED
> drivers/ddr/altera/sequencer.c: Calibration complete
> SDRAM calibration failed.
> ### ERROR ### Please RESET the board ###
>
> I'm not a Quartus user, so I haven't done anything with the
> qts-filter.sh script you
> mentioned. Do I need to? I don't have any custom FPGA logic - it's
> just the Terasic
> board out of the box.
>
> Thanks for any help!

Even without the custom FPGA logic the files generated from qts-filter.sh need to match your board.
Sets up PLL and SDRAM parameters.
I'm not familiar with the Terasic dev board ( I do have the altera devkit, but haven't used it for awhile).
I'd hope the files in the git repo are correct for your board.
Without the corresponding qsys project it's hard to be sure.

The sd card write commands look correct.
I just used a dts files in the uboot source but modified a couple of things.
Update Mem size and serial port speeds to match our requirements.

I also modified a few debug statements so the spl outputs a bit more info by default.
Output is alot closer to the altera supplied uboot tree.

My spl bootup is:

U-Boot SPL 2016.01-00003-g40d1cd2 (Mar 01 2016 - 15:29:44)
CLOCK: MPU           800000 kHz
CLOCK: DDR           400000 kHz
CLOCK: EOSC1          50000 kHz
CLOCK: EOSC2          50000 kHz
CLOCK: F2S_SDR_REF        0 kHz
CLOCK: F2S_PER_REF        0 kHz
CLOCK: MMC            50000 kHz
CLOCK: QSPI          400000 kHz
CLOCK: UART          100000 kHz
CLOCK: SPI           200000 kHz
INFO: Changing address order to 2 (row, chip, bank, column)
SDRAM: Calibrating PHY
SDRAM: Preparing to start memory calibration
SDRAM: CALIBRATION PASSED
SDRAM: Calibration complete
SDRAM: 2048 MiB
Trying to boot from MMC

U-Boot 2016.01-00003-g40d1cd2 (Mar 01 2016 - 15:29:44 +0800)

Marek who committed the terasic config may be able to help.
It most likely a mismatch in the qts config vs hardware.

--
Regards
Phil Reid

ElectroMagnetic Imaging Technology Pty Ltd
Development of Geophysical Instrumentation & Software
www.electromag.com.au

3 The Avenue, Midland WA 6056, AUSTRALIA
Ph: +61 8 9250 8100
Fax: +61 8 9250 7100
Email: preid at electromag.com.au