[U-Boot] Newbie SPL question for socfpga_sockit

Phil Reid preid at electromag.com.au
Thu Mar 3 08:11:05 CET 2016

On 3/03/2016 2:49 PM, George Broz wrote:
> On 1 March 2016 at 19:49, Phil Reid <preid at electromag.com.au> wrote:
>> On 2/03/2016 10:40 AM, George Broz wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry for the delayed response - got called away, but am back to this
>>> now. I patched
>>> socfpga_common.h and re-built the project. I picked up
>>> spl/u-boot-spl-dtb.sfp and
>>> u-boot-dtb.img and transferred them to the SD card with:
>>>
>>> dd if=u-boot-spl-dtb.sfp of=/dev/sdf3 bs=64k seek=0
>>> dd if=u-boot-dtb.img of=/dev/sdf3 bs=64k seek=4
>>>
>>> Tried this with both the original DT set (socfpga.dtsi,
>>> socfpga_cyclone.dtsi,
>>> socfpga_cyclone5_sockit.dts) that came with the u-boot v2016.01 download
>>> and
>>> also an Altera-patched DT set that I've used to boot into Linux numerous
>>> times.
>>>
>>> When I start up the board I get:
>>>
>>> U-Boot SPL 2016.01 (Mar 01 2016 - 17:28:14)
>>> drivers/ddr/altera/sequencer.c: Preparing to start memory calibration
>>> drivers/ddr/altera/sequencer.c: CALIBRATION FAILED
>>> drivers/ddr/altera/sequencer.c: Calibration complete
>>> SDRAM calibration failed.
>>> ### ERROR ### Please RESET the board ###
>>>
>>> I'm not a Quartus user, so I haven't done anything with the
>>> qts-filter.sh script you
>>> mentioned. Do I need to? I don't have any custom FPGA logic - it's
>>> just the Terasic
>>> board out of the box.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help!
>>>

>> Even without the custom FPGA logic the files generated from qts-filter.sh
>> need to match your board.
>> Sets up PLL and SDRAM parameters.
>> I'm not familiar with the Terasic dev board ( I do have the altera devkit,
>> but haven't used it for awhile).
>> I'd hope the files in the git repo are correct for your board.
>> Without the corresponding qsys project it's hard to be sure.
>>
> Hi Phil,
>
> So as my next attempt, there was a Quartus/Qsys example that came
> with the Terasic board (specific to my Rev. of the board).
>
> * I took the contents of the 'handoff folder', .sof, and .sopcinfo file.
> * launched an "Embedded Command Shell" from EDS 15.0 and then the BSP editor GUI
> * pointed the BSP editor to the "handoff folder", and hit "Generate"
> to produce iocsr, pinmux, pll, etc. files
> * applied qts-filter.sh to these files, the output of which I then
> dropped into the u-boot source @ ../board/terasic/sockit/qts
> * rebuilt uboot spl & image, but got a similar result:
>
> U-Boot SPL 2016.01 (Mar 02 2016 - 22:13:31)
> drivers/ddr/altera/sequencer.c: Preparing to start memory calibration
> drivers/ddr/altera/sequencer.c: CALIBRATION FAILED
> drivers/ddr/altera/sequencer.c: Calibration complete
> SDRAM calibration failed.
> ### ERROR ### Please RESET the board ###
>
> Except now it repeats four times, whereas before it only printed out once.
>
> It that essentially the correct procedure? Is it now a matter of
> looking through
> the include files that where generated by qts-filter.sh to find a
> setting that is "off"?
>
> (BTW - my first attempt was to use EDS 13.0, but that resulted in
> several undefined macros when it
> came time to compile u-boot with the qts-filter-generated code. How
> does one know which tool version to use?)

What does a diff of the new files show compared to the ones in uboot.
I'm using the Quartus 15.0 tool chain at the moment.
Turning on debugging in drivers/ddr/altera/sequencer.c may help.

--
Regards
Phil Reid