[U-Boot] Ethernet not found on Arria 5.

Bakhvalov, Denis (Nokia - PL/Wroclaw) denis.bakhvalov at nokia.com
Fri Mar 4 10:20:25 CET 2016

Dear U-Boot support,

I'm migrating to new U-Boot version from 2013 and now have Ethernet not working both in U-Boot and in Linux (after booting).

I have custom board with Altera Arria 5 SocFpga onboard.
U-Boot version: 2016.03-rc1

In logs I can see:

 Net:   No ethernet found.

With more verbose:

 designware_eth_probe, iobase=ff702000, priv=1eb286a0
 ethernet at ff702000 PHY: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 not found
 designware_eth_probe, ret=-19
 No ethernet found.

Ethernet connection inside my board is following:
   [CPU] ----- [EMAC1] ----- [ FPGA ] ---- [ PHY(KSZ8081MNXIA) ]

I already tried to configure FPGA from Linux environment but it didn't solved the problem.
My U-Boot configuration was cloned from socfpga dev kit board with some modifications.
But Ethernet configuration I didn't touched yet.

So far I tried to debug it with no success. Also I played with env variables (ethact, ethaddr) and CONFIG_PHY_ADDR with no success as well.
Something tells me that I have incorrect EMAC configuration but I don't know how to tackle it.

Please help me identify the problem or at least give me some hints where to look to solve my issue.

Best regards,
Denis Bakhvalov