[U-Boot] ext4 and caching

Ioan Nicu ioan.nicu.ext at nokia.com
Sat Mar 19 16:42:27 CET 2016

Hi Eric,

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 11:42:55AM -0700, EXT Eric Nelson wrote:
> 	Hi all,
>
> I've been seeing the same sort of issues repoted by Ionut
> and as addressed by this patch:
> 	http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2014-January/171459.html
>
> That patch was added in commit fc0fc50 and reverted in commit 715b56f.
>
> It no longer applies cleanly, and when I tried to resurrect it,
> I saw errors traversing directories and perhaps something went
> wrong with my merge.
>
> Ionut, do you have a current version of this patch?

We reverted that patch because it was breaking ext4 write support. I initially
developed the patch on top of an older u-boot which didn't have write supoort
at all.

I have tried to refactor my patch to work with both read/write, but I gave up
when I saw that the ext4 write code relied on the old behavior of
read_allocated_block/ext4fs_get_extent_block. I could have worked around that,
but then the whole thing would have looked like hack, so I didn't like it ...

If you are interested in a current version of this patch, I could try to
revive it. But it has the limitation I mentioned above, so I guess you could
use it just for some ext4 read performance measurement test.

Regards,
Ioan