[U-Boot] [ANN] U-Boot v2016.05 is released

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Mon May 16 20:51:46 CEST 2016

Hey all,

Due to some odds and ends, I ended up taking in some code a bit close to
the original release date, so I ended up just pushing things out a week.
I think moving forward, I really should say that in public, sorry.  But
things are live on git and FTP and Amazon Cloud Drive now.

So, v2016.05 has been released, and there's a few things worth pointing
out here.  First of all, U-Boot can now run EFI applications on ARM and
ARMv8.  The main use case here has been GRUB and that works.  This is
enabled by default on ARM and ARMv8 and a few platforms have turned it
off due to not being useful for their needs or space savings.

Next, we continue to make good progress on device model work and to me
one of the exciting parts is that we brought in the ground work this
release for FIT images from SPL and we've got a bunch of patches queued
up for the next release to make use of it.  The end result here is that
we're now able to keep having one binary that runs on many platforms,
when we can tell what the platforms are at run time, but that need
different DTs to run correctly.

I don't like to single out specific boards that we've added support for
in these emails but looking over the log a lot of things have come in or
gotten big updates including a number of popular / prominent boards.
I'll let the respective custodians and authors showcase that themselves.

Finally, we're making more progress on the testing front.  The
test/py/test.py infrastructure is getting more use and robustness and
there's also tbot, see tools/tbot/README for more details there.

Thanks again everyone!

--
Tom