[U-Boot] Q on expected u-boot behavior on ping response

Chris Packham judge.packham at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 03:42:59 CEST 2016

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 10:19 PM, John Rama <john.rama01 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear u-boot network experts,
>
> I'm now working on NXP MX6Q Sabreauto board with AR8031 network card.
> I'm using rel_imx_4.1.15_1.2.0_ga.
>
> Basically, the network works fine. u-boot can send ping to other device, do the tftp boot as well.
>
> But, I just realized that u-boot never respond on ping command from external device.
> Only the exception is that while u-boot is trying to communicate to other device via network
> (sending a ping command to others, or doing tftp boot, etc)
>
> I'm not dug into detail yet.
> But before doing so, I would like to confirm if this is a intentional behavior or not.

Yes this is intentional. u-boot only starts the network driver when it
needs to use it (i.e. to send a ping or download something over tftp).
After it has finished the network driver is stopped. Any traffic on
the network will be ignored if u-boot isn't actively trying to perform
a network operation, even if it is addressed to the device.