[U-Boot] [U-Boot-DM] FPGA driver over PCI bus

Marek Vasut marex at denx.de
Thu Sep 1 22:08:43 CEST 2016

On 09/01/2016 08:12 PM, Max Ruttenberg wrote:
> Thanks for getting back to me.

Hi,

please avoid top-posting.

> At the moment the FPGA just has logic for peripheral management. Part of
> what I'm trying to do in U-Boot is program a bitfile to it over a PCIe
> connection.

Which FPGA vendor/model is that, Altera or Xilinx ?

There are two options -- check drivers/fpga/ if there isn't already some
implementation OR use the FPGA manager in Linux to handle the
FPGA bitstream loading and binding of various drivers to the cores
synthesised in the FPGA.

> On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 12:07 PM, Marek Vasut <marex at denx.de
> <mailto:marex at denx.de>> wrote:
>
>     On 09/01/2016 04:46 PM, Max Ruttenberg wrote:
>     > Hi,
>
>     Hi,
>
>     > I'm find myself clueless in regards to writing a driver for an FPGA over a
>     > PCI bus. This U-Boot is running on an NXP t102xrdb board family, if that
>     > matters.
>     >
>     > The documentation in doc/driver-model/pci-info.txt mentions that I can use
>     > a macro named U_BOOT_PCI_DEVICE as alternative to listing my device in a
>     > device tree.
>     >
>     > I found an example of this in drivers/net/e1000.c, and I tried to follow it
>     > as much as was applicable (this is an ethernet driver, which my driver is
>     > not).
>     >
>     > But when U-Boot starts up, my "bind" function is never called, even though
>     > I can tell that my device with the corresponding vendor and device id is
>     > detected using the "pci [bus]" command.
>     >
>     > I appreciate any help I can get.
>
>     Switching to the u-boot list and Ccing Simon.
>
>     What is loaded in your FPGA ?
>
>     --
>     Best regards,
>     Marek Vasut