[U-Boot] ext4 delete file fails when ext4 extents enabled in filesystem

Brüns, Stefan Stefan.Bruens at rwth-aachen.de
Mon Sep 5 16:37:46 CEST 2016

On Freitag, 2. September 2016 14:51:59 CEST Thomas Schaefer wrote:
> [...]
[...]
> > Hi Thomas,
> >
> > short followup:
> >
> > read_allocated_blocks returns either 0 or -1 in case of an error.
> > Unfortunately, the return value is only checked for 0 equality in
> > most/all?
> > cases, and seemingly my patch series introduced some more occasions.
> >

> > Now, what *should* read_allocated_blocks return in case of an error?
> > Either:
> >
> > - 0: a file block can never be allocated as block 0, as that is always in
> > use by the superblock and/or the bootsector block.
> >
> > - <0: Extents allow 48 bit block numbers. "Limiting" the return value to
> > the positive half of int64_t for valid block numbers and and reserving
> > negative values for error codes is fine.
> >
> > I would go for negative error codes, as these are more expressive.
> > Comments/ opinions welcome!

Following up on this, the correct behaviour is <0 on "real" errors, like -
ENOMEM, and 0 on blocks not backed on device (e.g. sparse files).

Followup patch in progress.

[...]
> Hi Stefan,
>
> the attachment contains an image file that causes u-boot to crash when
> trying to overwrite existing files in ext4 fs.

Could reproduce this. The problem seems to be an out-of-bound access of an in-
memory struct ext2_inode, and mixing up its size with fs->inodesz. I have
found at least one place, will investigate further.

Kind regards,

Stefan